We woke early in the morning again, this time checked the news out of Moscow...It was official the upper parlament had signed the US Adoption Ban and it was headed to President Putin for Veto or Sign into action. It was expressed that he would most likely sign this new law into action before Jan 1, 2013. This was only 5 days away. We were aware that this was the direction this ban was headed but everyone seemed so optimistic that any families that had started their process and ecspecially families that had met their child would be able to finish their adoptions. So we had just lived by this standard and not stressed about the BAN to much. We were ready to go to the airport by 7 am when Katya and Eugene came to the hotel to get us. Within a few minutes of being in the car Katya turned to tell us that the ban had passed and it was looking worrisome for families. I explained to her that I had read several articles in the papers and understood that is was heading to Putin's desk and that he would most likely sign the paperwork. So then I asked for the paperwork we had signed at the orphanage yesterday because we had made arrangements for us to hand carry them to Moscow and give them to Dima (Mosow Coordinator).
She explained to us then that the Regional Ministry of Education kept our paperwork and did not think it was a good idea to send our paperwork to Moscow until we knew the fate of the Ban. I didn't understand so I had to ask the question..
So the one year transition period is not being honored?
It was silent for just a second, but it was enough for me to get the point, she told us that it looked like the BAN would just be abolished and it would no longer matter where the families were, that most likely the children would not be able to get a VISA out of the country. She assured us the would take care of our paperwork if we were allowed to proceed. The rest of the car ride was quiet. I simply sat in the back seat and tried to digest what she just said...but the tears and uneasiness took over my body and all I could do is cry knowing I was leaving my son stranded in Siberia!
The airport is tiny in Chita, but there is only a few flights a day that go in and out so it was pretty busy. Maybe it wasn't and I was just trying to hold myself together for a few minutes to process what had just happened. I had flown across the world and spent three days falling in love with my son and now getting on a plane that would take me farther and farther from him. Our flight got delayed naturally and we sat in a cold, concrete terminal waiting for them to call our flight number, no one spoke English and we had just be told that we probably wouldn't be able to come back...Awsome!
We prayed for a flight that was not full, because we had been up since 2 am and we were ready for a nap on our 7 hour flight to Moscow. Of course it was full so we didn't get to sprawl out...I was stuck in a middle seat where I couldn't do anything but fret. I am not someone that really likes comforted when I am upset and prefer just to be alone and I was definitely not alone and Jeremy didn't seem to upset and I didn't know if it because he was just ready to get out of there or he didn't fully understand what was just relayed to us..he doesn't really get gut feelings like me...or maybe he is more practical and realized quickly it was out of our hands!
I just went to sleep....I woke up about 4 hours later. It felt good to get a good nap in but the pit in my stomach was still there!

No comments:
Post a Comment